Wednesday 23 September 2015

How I did it within a month

As you know, I recently found myself a new job. While many of my ex-colleagues who have tendered or been retrenched are still struggling to secure themselves a job, they are starting to wonder how I landed myself somewhere new so fast.

Well, here are some tips which I would like to share with all of you, if you are ever planning to get out of a shithole or jump on a new wagon just because.

1. Your CV
When I first decided that I wanted to move on from my previous organisation, I started doing up my CV. Always, always keep your CV updated regularly. In fact, each time you have a new scope added on to your position, add it into your CV. No matter how small-scaled the scope is, it might be a key advantage for your next role.

For example, a large MNC is currently looking for a Receptionist and they need someone who has had experiences managing a mailroom. Coincidentally, you have just been asked by your Manager to manage the mailroom on an ad-hoc basis - thinking that it is not as important as it sounds.

Also, never take CV samples from Google and make it your own. Be orginial. Make references, if you need to. But, do not copy. Do not lie or make things up in your CV - you might get yourself in deep trouble if they find out that things in your profile are not true.

There are no rights or wrongs as to how you "style" a CV, but the content has to be powerful enough to let you earn the right job for yourself.

2. Upload your CV in the right places
Have you heard of Linkedin? Or Monster? Or even Jobstreet? These are key channels for you to be headhunted and contacted with regards to job vacancies.

Linkedin is a professional website for working adults to build their professional identity while staying in touch with colleagues, ex-colleagues and friends alike. You can also discover and be discovered for new opportunities in the market, based on your experiences and qualifications.

Monster, on the other hand, is a network platform where you can upload your CV and apply for jobs directly or get contacted for a job opportunity. Recruiters or professional headhunters are able to view your profile and contact you should they be interested in your profile.

Jobstreet is my personal favorite, with it being most user-friendly. It is where you look for jobs and you are able to conveniently search based on your own preference of industry or even salary range. And if you set your profile to public, recruiters or professional headhunters are also able to view yorur CV and contact you for job opportunities.

It is good to always make yourself look active, if you are really trying to find a job. Log in to these sites, even if no editing on your CV is required. It is more appealing for potential employers to contact active users on these platforms, to be honest.

3. Work hard
Keep yourself updated with available job opportunities in the market currently, and send out your CV to potential employers. Don't stop sending and don't give up. If you are desperate, it's not time for you to be picky either.

For me, I log in to Jobstreet every single day, in hopes of having at least 1 opportunity call per day. It will not be easy, but you have to work really, really hard. You have to be literally actively looking out for a job - even if it means applying for a job during lunchtime. Because I've realised that possibilities are 3/10, really. Which means, out of 10 companies which I've sent my CV to.. Only 3 of them will probably give me call to arrange an interview.

(And for me, kalau takde, takde terus. But bila ada, ada berederet. When I accepted this job offer, 2 other companies offered me at the same time the next day. Of course, I had to reject them. Alhamdulillah, semua rezeki ditentukan Allah SWT so we never really know!)

4. Register your CV with a recruitment agency
Now this really, REALLY helps a lot. There was a rumor I once heard from an unknown source, saying that recruitment agencies are out there to cheat you in all ways possible.

BULLSHIT LUH K.

Well, maybe some are. But first look at which agency you're dealing with. For some, even Recruit Express, will require you to pay some kind of fee once you have accepted a job offer. But that is only because they need some kind of a guarantee that you will not leave the job within the first 3 months. To be honest, it turns me off though.

And that's why I would only recommend agencies that operate globally, like Kelly Services or Adecco. These are professional agencies which will, in no way cheat you or your money. Their operations are monitored globally and they work just like an MNC, to put it simply.

For the past 2 jobs that I had within the last 3 years, they were placed by associates in Adecco. These guys work like.. I don't know, but some of them I know will literally go all out to help you.

I guess it's all about passion. If you're passionate about finding the right job for yourself, they're passionate about helping you as well.

I guess it all boils down to how much you want it.

5. Secure yourself an interview
When you get an invitation for an interview, go for it. You might not really like it afterall, for some reason, even though you applied for it.. But, you'll never really know until you try. Every interview is an opportunity - it depends on how well you do.

6. Ace during the interview
One way to prepare during an interview is to read up on the company's profile, so that you are able to ask knowledgeable questions along the way. Personally, I always consider interviews as a meet and greet; similar to meeting new people - which is what I have always liked to do.

And generally, for me, I talk a lot. However, some employees might take that as a weakness. Most, can be quite impressed with detailed answers to their questions.

Create a great impression during every interview, even if you don't really like the interviewer's face. Smile and don't make yourself look uncomfortable, even if you are. Never speak ill of your current or pass employers, as that would take you straight down goodbye lane.

--

So, these are just some basic tips. If you want to know more, do comment or drop me an email at diyanah.wong@gmail.com - I wouldn't mind giving you more tips or in fact, answering any questions you have! Hehe. And I realise I'm starting to update this space every single day now.. That's 3 days in a row! Let's try to keep that habit, shall we?

Insya Allah, till we speak again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment